Delicious Black Bean Brownies recipe with cacao, walnuts and a fudgy texture.
These brownies are made without flour, are vegan, gluten-free and (be warned) a little addictive!
Black Bean Brownies Recipe
Ingredients (to make 9 slices)
- 1 small tin (400g) of black beans, well-rinsed and drained
- 2 chia eggs (made using 2 tablespoons of ground chia seeds and 6 tablespoons water)
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3/4 cup cacao powder + extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup raw walnut pieces
- Cacao, for dusting
- Strawberries, raspberries (or other fresh fruit as desired)
- Preheat the oven to 175C and line an 8-inch/20cm rectangle baking tin with parchment paper. Spray with cooking oil (this will help to form crispy edges).
- Prepare chia eggs by mixing together ground chia with 6 tablespoons of water. Allow to thicken for five minutes.
- Put all remaining ingredients (except the walnuts) into a high-powered blender, and blend until well mixed and beans are puréed. Scrape down the sides.
Add a little bit of plant milk if the mixture is too thick (don’t add more than 2 to 3 tablespoons of plant milk).
- Add the walnut pieces to the black bean brownie batter and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Spoon black bean brownie batter into the prepared baking tin.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the brownies comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting. Dust with cacao powder and top with fruit, if desired.
Switch up this black bean brownie recipe by swapping the walnuts for hazelnuts, almond or macadamia nuts.
For a more indulgent black bean brownie, top it with chocolate frosting!
You can find more plant-based recipes on Rachel’s Blog or explore our Vegan Recipes page.
Photography by Rachel Steenland.
Shop Mirla Beane
You must be logged in to post a comment.